Another step toward better health: A Meat Slicer  

We eat a lot of sandwiches for lunches in our family. Over the past few years we have tried to make our lunches healthier by omitting chips with our sandwiches and having fruit. I also went to making our own bread quite a few years back. So, the last item that I wanted to address what finding a replacement for the store-bought lunch meats.

Well...I found it! After researching different slicers, we settled on this Chef's choice slicer. We figured that we could cook our own meats (beef, chicken, pork, etc.), slice it real thin, and use it on our sandwiches. This week we cooked a pork loin, some chicken breasts, and a slab of beef. We then refrigerated it to get it cold and firm, then sliced it up with our slicer. It worked great! We have nice sized slices for our sandwiches. We are going to get some small re-usable freezer containers to put the meat in, then I'll just pull out a couple different kinds of meat at a time to put in the refrigerator. The kids loved the fresh meat too...and it is SO much better for them!

We also found out that the slicer does an awesome job of slicing my homemade bread! It doesn't tear the bread up at all and makes a nice clean cut. I can get the slices just the right sandwich-bread width too, which means more slices out of one loaf of bread! Slicing the bread doesn't dirty the slicer at all, so I can easily use it and not have to clean it all up like when I slice the meats. So, here is how I plan on using the slicer to slice my bread: I'll get a loaf out of the freezer when we need it, then when it is thawed I'll slice it up so we'll have it for sandwiches, toast, etc. It has worked great this week!

Print
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 comments

  • Hillary  
    October 16, 2009 at 9:17 AM

    I had no idea you could use a slicer like this for slicing bread. What an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing.

  • bookworm0709  
    October 16, 2009 at 1:28 PM

    I have been looking for an alternative to paying $7 a pound for lunch meat. I love this slicer, going to be a Christmas present to my self! I figure it will pay for itself in about 6 weeks at my house!
    THanks for the heads up.

  • Lisa @Me and My House  
    October 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM

    I had a Rival industrial stainless steel slicer, now a Bosch fold-away. Love em. Not only can you do your meat and bread (even fresh) you can also do cheese.Buying the 5# bricks and slicing own saves a ton - not to mention healthier to use colby or chedder or swiss instead of "American". But even buying the smaller 2# packages and slicing own will save.

  • Unknown  
    November 4, 2009 at 3:15 PM

    Did you use a serrated blade to cut the bread, or were you able to use the blade that came with the unit?

  • Sheri Graham  
    November 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM

    I use the serrated blade to cut the bread, and I think this slicer comes with both the serrated and the fine edge blade! We got both with our order!

Post a Comment