How God used a mouse...really!  

This past week we discovered that we had a little visitor in our house...a mouse! It really turns my stomach to have a mouse in the house...crawling around and leaving its remains all over things...yuck! Well, we did trap the mouse..thankfully it appears we only had one!

But the day that I set the traps my two oldest children decided that they wanted to do their school UPSTAIRS! They were a bit grossed out as well. So right after breakfast they hauled all their school stuff, the two laptops, and some water up to their rooms upstairs. They were up there all morning doing their schoolwork...and they actually got it all done!

It was great! I stayed on the main floor with the three little ones (5, 2, and 1) and we did laundry, we baked, we did some learning games, and read some books together. I guess I didn't realize before how much of a distraction the little ones were to my two oldest while they were trying to do their schoolwork. I also didn't realize how much time I spent trying to keep the little ones from disturbing the older ones! My two oldest loved doing their school upstairs and wanted to continue doing this even after we caught the mouse!

This has been a blessing in disguise. While I wouldn't ask for a mouse in our house again, I am so thankful for it. We have continued through this week having my two oldest take their work upstairs and it has really worked out nice. They are being forced to work more independently and it has freed me up to not only get more housework done, but spend some one-on-one time with the little ones as well.

So...I am very thankful for a mouse...never thought I'd say that one!

Print
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 comments

  • Lisa  
    January 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM

    How old are you two oldest? I have a 9 year old and 3 year old...and I was just feeling that same way about my 3 year old. I'm always trying to keep her quiet while we do school...and I noticed over the last 2-3 days she's acting out. I think she's missing Momma time...and I just don't know how to balance that out. This is our first year homeschooling...so I'm just really learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  • Sheri Graham  
    January 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM

    Hi Lisa,

    My two oldest are 15 and 10. Here is what I would suggest. Have your 9 year old do his independent work in the morning...maybe sitting in a quiet place where he can concentrate. Then do any work that he needs help with or any read alouds, etc. while the 3 year old naps in the afternoon. This is what we do. I need to be available to help my 15 year old with Algebra, so she waits and does her math during nap time.

    Another option is to do things that you can do with both children present in the mornings, and use the nap times to sit with your 9 year old and do the table work.

    Let me know if have any more questions! You really just have to pray, take it to the Lord, and then try something. If it doesn't work, then try something else. Praying for you!!!

    Love, Sheri

  • Evy  
    January 22, 2009 at 9:16 PM

    Yes, God can use anything or anyone if need be..I'd rather it not be a mouse though :) But happy for you that the mouse at least had a purpose...

Post a Comment