Our Christmas Read-Alouds  

I thought I'd share what we have been reading during the month of December.  While we are taking a lighter approach to our schoolwork during the month of December, our read-aloud time continues...we enjoy it TOO much!  Here is what we have been reading:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



We finished reading Grandpa's Box about a week ago.  I can't recommend this one enough!  The kids loved it and it will definitely be one we will pull out a reread over and over!  While most would not consider this a "Christmas" story, I do.  The story of redemption...of Christ's coming...of the war being waged...of the battle that has already been won...yes, this is what Christmas is all about!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We finished One Wintry Night yesterday and we loved it (Thanks Anjie for recommending this one to me!).  It was interesting that it was similar to Grandpa's Box in that it told the Christmas story, beginning with Creation, on up through the Resurrection.  It was a great follow-up after reading Grandpa's Box.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Yesterday we started reading The Best of Christmas in My Heart, Vol. 2.  This series was recommended to me and so this year I decided to buy a volume and read it to the kids during December.  The first story was a tear-jerker...but full of meaning and awe of the Christ child...excellent!  I highly recommend this series of books.  Here are some others you can consider:  The Best of Christmas in My HeartThe Candle in the Forest: And Other Christmas Stories Children Love and many others found here.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Last year we read Jotham's Journey and loved it.  We were planning on reading the next book, Bartholomew's Passage, this year, but it was too much for my 6-year-old.  So, I set it aside for this year and will consider it next year.  These books are excellent, but are very suspenseful and graphic at times (yet very realistic as to what was going on during that time).  I highly recommend these books, but if you have a child who is sensitive to scary things, you may want to preview it before reading.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

What about you?  What books are you reading to your children during this holiday season?  I pray each of you are enjoying making memories, snuggling up close to your children, and enjoying good books!  Time goes by WAY too fast...enjoy these moments!

Print
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments

Post a Comment