Mondays on Mothering  

Today's post is going to be a bit different than my usual "Mondays on Mothering" post. Over the past week I have spent a lot of time contemplating the state of our economy, the elections, etc. Everyone knows that there are many "unknowns" about our future that can tend to get us sidetracked and fearful. The Lord has really been impressing on me lately the need to stay focused...to not let the things going on in the world around me to distract me from doing the things that really matter.

Last night as I was reading, I came across this verse:

"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1 Corinthians 15:58

This verse stopped me in my tracks...because it said the very thing God has been impressing on my heart - to stand firm - to continue doing the work of the Lord - to let nothing move me!

I write a challenge to you today:
  • Are you standing firm in the calling that God has given you, or are you being sidetracked by the chaos in the world around you?
  • Are you continuing to do the work of the Lord (serving your husband and children, taking care of your home, helping those in need, sharing the Gospel) or have you neglected these things in order to "prepare" for bad times ahead?
  • Are you remaining immovable, standing upon our Rock, Jesus Christ or are you being swayed here and there by all kinds of teaching, news media, etc.?
I want to encourage you to remain steadfast in the hope that we have as believers and followers of Christ. Continue doing the work of the Lord by serving your husband and children, taking care of your home, helping those in need, and sharing the Gospel with the lost. I am not saying that we should not be wise in doing some preparations for possible hard times, but please don't let it distract you from continuing on in obedience to the Lord...continuing on in the things that the Lord called you to.

As my husband said recently, we should be living each day as if it is our last. Make each day count. Invest in the things that count for eternity.

I think that is one of the most precious things about being a mother...we get a chance to invest in eternal things - our husband and children, then those in our sphere of influence.

Keep on keeping on, dear sisters..."because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1 Cor. 15:58b

Print
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 comments

  • Kim @ Homesteader's Heart  
    October 21, 2008 at 7:10 AM

    Amen to that. You know not watching the news on tv helps with keeping my focus. You can get so easily distracted by all the chaos when you tune into that.
    Thank you for your words today. Well actually yesterday lol.
    Blessings to you.
    Kim

  • Pauline  
    October 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM

    Thank you so much for these timely words! I have to say that I am not particularly struggling with economic issues just keeping on in those things that are eternal and godly (like serving my husband and training my children... with the right heart) and living my days like they were the last- that thought just came to me last night. So your words are like a little answer to prayer that I might "get back on track". I feel like this post was written to me :O) thank you and blessings to you

  • Anonymous  
    October 21, 2008 at 4:22 PM

    Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt post this week! I read your post over on facebook, then I came here later to comment and ended up reading it again :).

    Celebrate the Joy!

    Amy b

  • Linda  
    October 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM

    This is a very uplifting post. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment